My son doesn’t like milk. He decided this at 2 and 1/2 years of age and pretty much weaned himself from bottle and milk. Not that he was ever that attached to the bottle. He does love broccoli, which I know has calcium in it, but our pediatrician says he would need 20 cups a day to get enough calcium.
Anyway, I’ve had to be really creative to make sure he gets what he needs for his growing bones. This is a list of what works, but keep in mind most of the options are sugary:
- Calcium gummy bears (available at Costco – not your typical multivitamin which often does not have much calcium in it)
- Cup of whole milk with a small scoop of ice cream in it – we call it a “Milkshake” and he LOVES it!
- Dora/Diego yogurt drinks from Dannon
- Dannon kids yogurt
- Calcium fortified Gold Fish crackers! really popular with my kid
Not as popular is:
- Horizon Organic Chocolate Milk – too sweet!
- Horizon Organic Yogurt in a packet – strange, gamey aftertaste
- Mozzarella cheese sticks – he’ll eat them, but not at the rate I need him to
- Calcium fortified Orange Juice – it’s such a rush of sugar, i don’t feel comfortable forcing him to sit down and drink 8 oz straight
Let me know if you have any other ideas!